Posts Tagged ‘ikea’

Everytime I make my up the road to Ikea, I see and stare at this poor plain slippers.  Marked at $1.99/each, they’ve proven too irresistible to this bargain shopper.


So the other day, I purchased 5 pairs in black and 5 pairs in pink.

I’ve been trying to come up with ways to save our carpet upstairs … which means I need to ask people to take their shoes off when they come over.  But….something about that always seems painful to people.  What, no pedicure lately!?!?

So, I hope by purchasing these cute little slippers, and updating them a little, will solve my dilemma!


I started with the black sets – I made little shoe staches. Ha! I made each mustache a different style so that each guest could remember which pairs is his. You know, in case they do a barefoot dance for a second.


I used an awesome set of cookie cutters as my templates.


Then I cut out 2 of each style from felt.


Then pinned them onto each of the slippers.


Then, all you have to do is take some embroidery thread and sew ’em up. Aren’t these just too fun!?


I couldn’t think of anything fun to applique on the pink slippers, so I just went with some flowers I had lying around my stash – I secured them with buttons as you can see. duh, right!


And here is what I ended up with… I’m pretty pleased!

So there it is – it’s THAT easy to save your carper for only $2 per person!!!  Fingers crossed it will work.  If nothing else – I can let the steam cleaner guys wear these when they come!

COST: 10 pairs for $20

TIME: I watched 3 episodes of MI:5…. so 3 hours!!!

Won’t you come for a visit … and, er, um, please take off your shoes!

Read Full Post »

I found this chair on craigslist about 2 months ago for TEN DOLLARS!!  Yes, $10 smacks … that’s cheaper than 2 kids’ meals at Chick Fil A!

Originally, I thought I’d paint the frame plus adding a new slip cover to the bottom cushion.  As the baby’s nursery kept evolving; however, I ended up with a crib the same color as the bamboo of the chair…so, lucky me – I didn’t have to paint.  All I had to do was make a slip cover for the bottom cushion, purchase a large pillow form for the back, and make a pillow case for that.  done.

I am SOOOO happy with this chair…I almost can’t wait to spend a couple of sleepless nights in it.  almost.

My husband was very curious why I thought this chair was worth $10. I, of course, can't believe I got it for ONLY $10!


drum roll please….

Ta - Dah!

I added yellow pleats along the top and bottom edges of the seat cushion, and along the sides of the back pillow. (shhh, I used straighgrain strip instead of bias strips, and it worked just fine!!!)

I know I'm biased, but I just LOVE this chair!!! If you could see how perfectly it fits in the baby's room, I think you'd love it too... but I'm biased for sure! I started creating a tutorial for How to Slip Cover a Cusion..but I stopped at the zipper and forgot to take pictures of the assembly! sorry about that!

Let’s talk total $$$:

chair: $10

Fabric: 2 yards of 60″ wide fabric from Ikea – $15, the ruffle fabric was scrap fabric, so free.

Pillow form: $20

Total cost of Chair: $45….or Priceless, if you ask me!


I’m working on a post about all the things handmade in Rosamund’s room…and I’ll work on the Slip Cover Tutorial if any of you out there need one.. just let me know!!

Until then… happy sewing!


Read Full Post »


Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,096 other followers